Sunday, November 18, 2012

Pressing Olives.

Remember last week's post when we spent the afternoon hanging in trees like monkeys picking olives? Well, the Little Red Hens that we are delivered this week.  We were able to press those olives and make our own olive oil to take home.


The olive pressing process is actually really interesting, and I'm amazed how these people figured out how to do this so many thousands of years ago.  Crazies.  It's a lot of work.

These sweet little lover bees even gave it a shot.

All tuckered out.

This is the actual olive press.  You stick the smashed olive pieces into these basket bags where it's pressed into oil and water.  You leave it out over night and then sift the oil off the top!  Brilliant.



After awhile the sun started setting, so we ditched that and enjoyed the beautiful Jerusalem sunset.  I've been trying to catch these most nights, because pretty soon I won't have this luxury anymore, and that makes me cry when I think about it too long.




One of my favorite buildings in the world right thur.



No comments: