Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Jordan

I'm finally getting around to posting about our 4 days in JORDAN 2 weeks ago.  It was a lovely trip for all.


We started out the trip at Madaba and Mt. Nebo.

If I had a dollar for every time we were told we matched, or that we were asked if we planned it, I'd probably be $100 richer.  Of COURSE I planned a twin day with my Sis!  But really we didn't.  We're just on the same wavelength. 

Hiking Machaerus where John the Baptist was beheaded.  We had one of my favorite devotionals at this site about prophets.  John the Baptist sure was a heck of a guy.




There's always a lot of bus time on these trips, but you will never hear me complain about that.  I love being cooped up for hours with these lover bees.

Day two was spent in PETRA!!!  Is it worthy of being named one of the Seven Wonders of the world? Let me answer that question by asking you this: Is the pope Catholic?
YES.
This is the Siq where most tourists enter Petra.

And it opens up to the TREASURY!  Fun fact: Indiana Jones was filmed here.  Yeah, now you think it's cooler, huh?  I did too.

Most of us took the long hall hike up about 850 stairs to the Monastery.  Did it look like all the other crazy stuff cut out of the side of mountains in Petra? Yes.  But was it well worth the hike? Absolutely.





Always staying hydrated.  Key.

Can you ride camels in Petra?  Most definitely.  But you can never ride a donkey.  Unless you're not traveling with BYU, then go right ahead.

Staisha was a master bargainer and got us a ride up to the tombs Camel Back.





Is this one of the most crazy cool things I've done in my life? Yes.
Is riding camel back surprisingly comfortable?  Oh yes.





One sad thing about these trips is that I rarely get to see my angels from the other bus, but it's always a good moment when we do cross paths :)

When you ride a horse back to your bus in Petra, does your horse guide sometimes think it's a good idea to run next to you while your horse gallops into town?  Yes.
Does your guide sometimes go to bump your fist and then pull away before you get it? Yes.
Is this probably so you'll give him a bigger tip cause you think he's funny? Probably.
Is it okay to have a few tricks of your own up your sleeve and do squirrel up his arm before he pulls away?  You tell me.


At the end of the day Staisha got a free eye disease from this man who wanted her to be a Bedouin REEEEEALLY bad.  Yeah he just started putting eye liner on her with no questions asked.  


You can just call me Meg because this is HERCULES TEMPLE.


We went to Jerash on day 3.  

These dudes made my DAY when they whipped out their bag pipes.  Anyone who knows me well knows that bag pipe master is something on my bucket list.  And I WILL check it off.  This reminded me how COOOOOL they are.












Then we went to an automobile museum that I actually thought was really cool.  But when we got back to the bus, brother Judd asked if this is something they should include on the itinerary for next year and every single person said NO! Hahaha...

On our way to the Jabbock River we sang Did You Think to Pray because it says 
"Balm of gilead did you borrow."

During the evenings in Amman we were able to explore the city.  One night we found this crazy Farmer's Market.  It was kind of like the Mehane Yehuda Market Shuk in West Jerusalem, only a lot bigger and WAY MORE CROWDED.

On the last day right before we went home we visited the Jordan River.  Sometimes it's really crazy for me to process in my brain that certain events actually happened right where I am.  John the Baptist BAPTIZED Christ at this very sight.  That is so amazing to me.  I am so blessed.  



Paul and I made both of our DREAMS come true and we sang Will You Be There by Michael Jackson AT the River Jordan.  I wish we could say we nailed it and it sounded amazing and everyone cried cause it was so beautiful, but that would be a horrible lie.  We totally botched it.  It's okay though cause Brother Judd played it over the speakers on the bus TWICE on our way home.  

There are lots of stadiums in Jordan.


Katie was my roommate in Jordan, and she seriously was the sweetest thing in the world to me.  Love her.




Remember how I crave donuts all the time these days?  WELL, MB was the biggest sweetheart and bought us ALL A DONUT IN AMMAN!!!  Seriously that kid couldn't be nicer.


Don't ask me what Tommy and I are doing, but I seriously love these people.  Even the little Jordanian kidlets who decided to jump in here.
Jordan was crazy good all around.  A lot of fun, a lot of friends, and a lot of spiritual experiences.

Here is the Jordan video that Rosie was kind enough to put together this trip.  It's great having her around.

No comments: